Eleven-year-old Liam is here today with his favorite books on survival and camping.
Please note that this post contains Amazon affiliate links, which means if you buy through my links, I will receive a percentage of the sale. It doesn’t cost you more, but it helps us out. Thanks!
So… in this post I will discuss these 3 things:
- Why I like camping.
- A few tips on camping.
- What camping books I like.
Well, I LOVE camping. This is why:
- I like the outdoors.
- I like independence!
- I like eating camping food like s’mores, sodas, Beanie Weenies, hot dogs, and hamburgers.
- NEVER eat too many sweets as you will get tired and want to waste your time sleeping (I learned this the hard way once!).
- In bear country, always store food at least 100 feet away from camp (I’ve never camped in bear country, but this is a useful tip).
- Pick an Epic Spot. It should have access to water for swimming or fishing, near a wood supply for fire, and not under a cliff. A cave is optimal, but make sure nothing is living in there.
- Candy, though excellent in taste, has a very low nutritional value…so don’t eat too much.
- Always eat filling, quick-to-eat foods (except for dinner – that will take a while to eat).
Here are my favorite books on camping:
- These two books are how-to books on things like how to make kites, boats, etc.
- I just got these books for my birthday, and I am loving them.
- I really recommend these books if you are bored.
- These are classics and no library is complete without them.
- This is a great book for survival and self-defense fanatics like me.
- From wilderness survival to terrorism survival, this book covers it all!
- I love this book because it has everything I want to know.
- This is an out-of-print book about how to camp.
- It is a fun book to read before going camping.
- It is useful and functional.
- It includes a full guide of how much food per person to buy.
- I just got this book for my birthday. It is a reference book that is very descriptive.
- This is a huge book. Not a Read-Through-In-An-Afternoon-And-Then-Know-How Book.
- I like this book because you can learn ANYTHING about survival.
Here are two of my favorite chapter books that are related to camping and survival:
Rascal by Sterling North:
- Rascal is a true story about the author’s pet raccoon (Mom reviewed it here).
- It is a very good book that makes you want to be out in nature.
- It is a fun read for a rainy afternoon at camp (or at home).
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George:
- My Side of the Mountain is one of my favorite books. It’s the first book in a trilogy, but this one is the best.
- It’s about a boy who runs away to live in the woods for a year.
- It is a great book to read on a rainy afternoon.
Those are my favorite books for camping and survival. Please share any survival or camping books suggestions in the comments below. I am always looking for more!
Was this book review helpful? Please subscribe to our emails so you can stay up to date on all our reviews!
If you are interested in reading these books, you should be able to find most of them at your local library. If you are interested in buying any of these books, I would love it if you bought it at your local bookstore. But, if you are planning to buy one or anything else on Amazon, please buy after clicking on our link!
It won’t cost you extra, but it helps us a little. Thanks so much!